TURNING A 5K INTO $10K
In Connecticut, one in seven households struggles to put food on the table. Nearly one child in five under age 18 is hungry or food insecure. Every Thanksgiving, you can do something about it by taking part in the annual Branford Rotary & BC2 5k and Fun Run.
Thanks to the 1,100 runners who came to our 2019 Thanksgiving Branford Rotary & BC2 5k and Fun Run, plus the generosity of our Rotary Partners (see list at right), and a wonderful matching program at Liberty Bank, Branford Rotary distributed more than $10,000 during the holiday season to help feed families, seniors, veterans, and more.
Among the groups and organizations we're able to help:
- The Branford Food Pantry, which provides meals for an average of 204 families (about 500 people) per month.
- Orchard House Adult Medical Day Center, a Branford non-profit that assists those with Alzheimer’s and their families.
- Branford Counseling and Community Services, which provides an incredible array of social services for residents in need.
- The Community Dining Room, which servers 4,500 meals a month.
In addition, our funding also pays for:
- Branford Rotary’s annual Nelson Bernabucci Veteran’s Luncheon, where we feed and honor nearly 100 military veterans, many of them from the VA’s Eastern Blind Rehabilitation Center.
- Branford Rotary’s Senior Holiday Dinner, where we cook and serve a full holiday meal for nearly 200 seniors, many of whom don’t have families with whom to share the holidays.
We'd like to thank the Branford community, Liberty Bank, and our generous Partners for helping Rotary help others.